Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Egg Retrieval

Yesterday (Tuesday), the nurse called me with my bw results: Progesterone level at 5.3 (they look for 3+); Luteinizing Hormone (LH) level at 49.2 (they look for 15+). Everything was all set to go for my egg retrieval (ER)!

The ER was scheduled for this morning at 9:45. David and I arrived at 8:15am and I was taken to the hospital area and given a gown, booties, and hair cap. I signed all my forms, discussed my discharge instructions, got changed, and then the anesthesiologist (Dr. Steve) came in with more paperwork and started my saline IV. He joked that I was a human pin cushion after seeing my arms, and despite the local lidocaine he gave me before inserting the catheter, I hated having that thing in my arm. I have probably had a handful of saline IVs (emergency room visit, wisdom teeth removal, etc.) but there's something about having that thing my arm that I can't stand. Dr. Steve was so nice, but as soon as he left, I started getting nervous and a little teary-eyed. It was so great having David there to comfort me; he showed me my favorite sloth video and I was laughing again in no time. Soon David was taken away for his sample, and I was alone in the room for a little bit.
All dressed up and no place to go. :)

Throughout the process, I could see and hear a little bit of what was going on in the next room on the other side of the curtain...this was great because I could mentally prepare myself as far as which nurse/doctor/tech I'd see next, and what the time frame was. When the woman next door was taken away to the OR, I knew I'd probably be in there in the next 30-40 minutes. David came back right before the nurse came for me to make sure I relieved my bladder before going to the OR. Then we walked David to the exit (to the waiting room), and she brought me into the OR. In the OR I saw Dr. Steve again, as well as 3 nurses. The embryologist came in to confirm my personal information, and then Dr. Steve started my anesthesia. Before I knew it, I woke up in my room with Nurse Sabrina. She asked me if I was in pain, and gave me IV pain medication when I told her I was, which helped, and then told me to go back to sleep. 

The next time I woke up, David was sitting next to my bed in the chair. The nurse returned and gave me some saltines and water, had David give me some oral Norco for the pain, and had me drink some Sprite to increase my sugar levels. She went over discharge instructions with me again, and relayed dietary instructions to David, and then told me that my doctor would come in to speak to me before we could leave. I could hear another woman that was crying from the anesthesia wearing off (it was heartbreaking!). I asked Nurse Sabrina if I had done that, and she said no, but that I was extremely funny. I asked her why, and she said I kept asking questions about how I got to my bed and who brought me there. She said she loved my voice (which was a little scratchy), that it reminded her of a character from Gravity Falls, and that I should do voiceovers. :)

My doctor came to see how I was, and told me he had retrieved 19 eggs. I was hoping to hit an even 20, but he said he was happy with anything over 15. We discussed the protocol for the next few days, and the PGS and tentative FET schedules. Then I was able to get dressed and leave. After stopping at Arby's and KFC, we got home just before noon.

Nurse Sabrina had instructed David to make sure I focus on consuming Gatorade, protein (meat, nuts, cheese), and broth, all of which David kindly got for me from the store after I woke up from a nap. I've had some spotting throughout the day, but nothing excessive. The pain is uncomfortable (similar to really bad menstrual cramps). It gets worse when the Norco wears off, but it's not unbearable. I took it easy the rest of the day, napping and resting on the couch. Tomorrow the doctor will call me to tell me how many eggs were mature and fertilized with ICSI.

David's parents are coming tomorrow for a quick visit; I'm hoping I am feeling up for the company. Unfortunately it didn't work out in their schedule for them to come a little later, and David will also be leaving after the weekend, so we are making do!

No comments:

Post a Comment