Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Bloating, Weight Gain, and Ultrasounds

Progression of abdominal swelling:
Left - Stims: Day 6Center - Stims: Day 10Right - Morning of ER
I read that ovaries are normally the size of walnuts, but with IVF can swell up to the size of plums or even small grapefruits! So prior to starting stims, I was preparing myself for the swelling and possible weight gain. (I've read varying accounts on weight gain--some women gained nothing, some gained only 5 lb., others gained closer to 15+ lb.) Today, (the morning of my ER, which I will write about in the next post), I weighed myself and I was up 1.8 lb. I will say that I had a lot less swelling than I was expecting, and my discomfort was pretty manageable (with only a few days of bad headaches at the beginning and a little bit of abdominal "heaviness" towards days 8-10 of stims). I thought I'd post a comparison of my abdomen: Day 6 vs. Day 10 vs. Day 12/ER. I actually looked and felt more bloated on some of the days in the middle of stimming compared to the morning of my ER.


Top: Uterine lining; Bottom: Follicles in my ovary
I also wanted to share some photos from my ultrasound on Day 10 (5.29.16). This entire process has been so interesting and I've learned a lot about my body and what it's capable of doing. 

I've also really surprised myself at how strong I am when I need to be. This first cycle (up to ER) was scary and difficult at times, but it was nothing I couldn't handle and make it through. I've endured endless blood draws and needle pricks, had a ton of invasive ultrasounds; I've gotten over any kind of embarrassment with doctors; I've learned to give myself subcutaneous injections! I've also spent time getting myself healthy--both mentally and physically. I'm surprised that eliminating alcohol and caffeine was as easy as it has been (though I have definitely craved a glass of Malbec here and there!). 

If you are reading this and you are interested in IVF, but are scared of the needles, doctors, and protocol involved--be brave! If I can do this, so can you. In the end, those needle pricks, blood draws, and doctors appointments will (hopefully) be totally worth it. I'm keeping my eye on the prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment